Why is Interior Page Layout Important?
- All facing pages must end on the same baseline without the first line of a paragraph landing on the bottom of a page, or the last line of a paragraph landing on the top of a page.
- No paragraphs where the last line consists only of a word with less than five characters (including punctuation) or a word fragment (the stub end of a hyphenated word).
- No “ladders” (too many hyphens in a row) and no hyphenated compound words, both of which distract the reader.
- No word stacks—when the same word falls one above the other on several consecutive lines of text.
- No overly tight or loose lines.
- No “rivers” of white in the text—word spaces that fall in a pattern that is distracting to the reader.
- No pages ending in a hyphenated word. Readers don’t want to hold a thought while the page is turned.
- The last page of a chapter should have at least four lines of text.
Interior Page Design Services
1106 Design’s professional page layout design services include the following:
- Two custom interior design samples, where we show you our ideas for the text design. We’ll work with you on these samples until you are completely satisfied. We never use templates; we always give your book a unique look compatible with your subject matter.
- Typesetting your book to professional standards.
- Proofreading your book. (Yes, a final round of proofreading using The Chicago Manual of Style as a guide is necessary. Please trust us or you will release a book with errors!)
Fiction and Memoirs: $1,300.00
Prices are for black and white books up to 50,000 words, 6×9 or smaller, with fewer than 10 images to place and 20 sidebars. If your book contains tables or your specs differ, please e-mail or call us for a custom quote.
Price includes proofreading and two hours of revisions. Additional revisions are chargeable at $99/hour. (One or two changes per book page can be completed within this time limit. To avoid additional charges, please finalize your manuscript before the book design process begins.)